(Bloomberg) -- Cooler temperatures are helping fire fighters battle wildfires raging through Alberta as the blaze retreats from the country’s main oil-sands facilities around Fort McMurray. Rachel Notley, the province’s premier, will travel to the city Monday after the fires knocked out an estimated 1 million barrels of daily production and led to the evacuation of more than 80,000 people.
The inferno, which had been forecast to expand to more than 2,500 square kilometers (965 square miles), grew slower than expected and now covers about 1,600 square kilometers, Notley said at a news conference on Sunday. Thirteen new wildfires started Sunday, for a total of 33 fires, little changed from the day before. Three are judged "out of control," three are being held and 22 under control, Travis Fairweather, a forestry spokesman, said by phone Monday.
Recommended For You
Want to continue reading?
Become a Free PropertyCasualty360 Digital Reader
Your access to unlimited PropertyCasualty360 content isn’t changing.
Once you are an ALM digital member, you’ll receive:
- Breaking insurance news and analysis, on-site and via our newsletters and custom alerts
- Weekly Insurance Speak podcast featuring exclusive interviews with industry leaders
- Educational webcasts, white papers, and ebooks from industry thought leaders
- Critical converage of the employee benefits and financial advisory markets on our other ALM sites, BenefitsPRO and ThinkAdvisor
Already have an account? Sign In Now
© 2025 ALM Global, LLC, All Rights Reserved. Request academic re-use from www.copyright.com. All other uses, submit a request to [email protected]. For more information visit Asset & Logo Licensing.